<Vessel> 12/11/17

Visited V&A museum for a primary research_

V&A museum had a big collection of vessels from ancient asian countries. I learned that ceramic was a big part of the ancient Japanese culture. Also, Korea had a very long history of vessels, which starts from B.C 4000. Ancient China adopted various designs of vessels from different asian countries. 

The most surprising thing was that there were design elements in the ceramics of over 1000 years. Before, I thought ancient vessels would only have an element of functionality. One of the most oldest and interesting designs was this slanted jar from ancient Korea, made in year 100. I couldn't believe it was made in year 100, because a design with slanted shape is still considered creative. Also, the putting a comb-pattern on the jar was apparently a trend that started from the very beginning of Korean history, from B.C 4000. I thought the slanted design would make it easy for the users to take out small material from very inside of the jar. 

Another interesting design I have found was the vessels with legs on the bottom. They reminded me of the shape of a  human body. I thought of designing a vessel that expresses human body, expressing each body parts with different shapes.

<Vessel> 16/11/17 Day1: Grouping Vessels

We tried to group different designs of vessels with certain topics. First, I grouped the vessels that had a geometric shapes in their designs. I realized that the designs with geometric shapes have a modern look to them.

Next, we had to lay out the designs from low-end to high-end. As the design laid toward low-end, they were more often used in everyday life. Also, a large portion of the designs were concentrated on the low-end side, rather than the high-end side. 

IMG_4575.JPG

Then we grouped the low-end to high-end again into traditional to contemporary. We found that the contemporary designs were evenly distributed in between low-end to high-end. I think it's because a lot of products these days focus on 'design' aspect as well as 'function'.

IMG_4577.JPG

<Vessel > 21/11/17 Day3

Making Vessels at the Workshop_

We went to the ceramics workshop at CSM to make the vessels of our own. As I planned yesterday, I decided to make a few hemisphere shaped bowls. Slip casting was much fun that I expected, even though the procedure took some time. 

At the workshop, there were two casts I liked. They were both shape like a bowl, but not the perfect hemisphere I thought of. I reshaped one of the designs to be a perfect hemisphere, and left the other design as it is. I also made two cylinders, and cut one of them in half. When I broaden the gap between the cylinder, it made a very interesting shape, as if I could place something on it.

IMG_4760.JPG.1

<Vessel> 27/11/17 Day5

Among the vessels I have made, there were only eight that survived. However, I'm thinking of using just the bowl shaped vessels.

Over the weekend, I did more research and found out something very interesting. I came across Ettore Sottsass's ceramics, which gave me the image of lighting design. Ettore's ceramics were very similar to the shapes of lamps and lightings, so I did more research on interesting shapes of lamps. Most of Ettore's lamps were designed as if different shapes of vessels were combined together; a great example could be the 'Nebulosa' lamp by Ettore Sottsass. 

I also researched for different kinds of coffee brewers, which look very similar to lamps. For example, chemex and syphon are really shaped like a lamp. In keeping with the similarity between a lamp-vessels-coffee brewer's designs, I am keep on developing ideas. However, it's quite challenging to design a vessel that has more than just a function as a "container" but to satisfy user's sense of  visual and olfactory, with limited shapes.

<Vessel> 1/12/17 Day7

I thought something was missing from my last design, so did more research on coffee containers. Then I found out about the coffee roaster, which I thought would be perfect to incorporate with the scent of coffee bean. I was especially inspired by the portable and small coffee roasters made to use at home. Most of the coffee roasters in the market were similar in design, which they contain coffee bean in a small container covered with perforated metal sheet. There is a handle to rotate the container, which then roasts the coffee bean evenly. Inspired by that design, I finally decided to incorporate copper as a sub material.

First I cut the mashed copper sheet into a measured size and inserted in between the two vessels. I had to make a hole in the middle of the vessels to put a handle that goes through. I carried on the supporting stick idea because I thought wood goes well with copper.  

I intended to make it small, to place them on a table at a cafe or a kitchen. Users can rotate the vessel that contains coffee bean inside, as they talk with a companion or when they are bored. As the vessel rotates, it will spread more scent around the area.

IMG_4929.jpg  IMG_4932.jpg

<Vessel> 15/12/17

After incorporating the characteristic of a coffee roaster to my design, I started on making the leg for holding the vessel. The former design for leg part was not stable enough to hold the vessel, so I tried to develop it to be more functional. However I wanted to maintain the former design as much as possible by keeping the legs' cross

Another thing I have added was the copper. I used a copper acrylic paint for the pop of design. I thought that the copper and coffee bean goes well in color and mood. 

IMG_6614.jpg 11!.jpg

<Child> 3/12/17 Day1

I was grouped in 'Literacy and Numeracy'.

Over the weekend, I visited the V&A Museum of Childhood and Hamleys for research. Before I did the primary research, I thought the 'literacy and numeracy' toys could be only found in the educational criteria. However, I was able to get a lot of inspiration from toys of every criteria, such as a domino and stacking blocks. 

From the museum of childhood, I was most inspired with the bead maze toy because it brought me back with most childhood memories. I used to play with the bead maze everyday when I was young, and my mom passed it on to my brother and cousin. The bead maze naturally develops children's counting and math skills. I thought of making a furniture, in which children could actively enjoy the toy. I was also inspired with an abacus, a traditional counting tool. I thought the design was interesting and pretty to incorporate in any product.

From Hamleys, I was able to find toys in trend, in which most of them required electronics. I found a stacking rings toy, which I thought of transferring it into stacking chairs.

<Child> 4/12/17 Day2

'Literacy and numeracy' could be sub divided into imagination, movement, interaction, patterns, personification, and sensory. I'm most interested in movement, which involves physical interaction of children. I want to make some kind of a furniture that can develop children's learning, playing, and feeling skills. 

I'm thinking of developing the idea of an abacus and a bead maze toy, because those two toys were my favorite things to play with when I was young. I was naturally attracted to the playful designs of the two toys when I saw those at the museum of childhood in ages. They are formed with numbers of small cubes inserted in metal string, and kids could slide the cubes along the strings. Bead maze toys have more complex shaped strings, hence called bead "maze". I might develop it to be either a chair or a table.

<Child> 5/12/17 Day3

As I was developing my ideas, I suddenly thought of designing a toy for visually impaired children. Children with disability can not read numbers and letters, so I thought it would be very interesting to design a product for them. I searched for different design of a braille, a tactile writing system used by people who are visually impaired. 

I thought of combining the alphabet and braille together, making a book for every children whether they are disabled or not. Maybe I could use texture to do that, in which the braille is more popped up than the alphabet. However, I want to make something more three dimensional.

Therefore I also designed small blocks of braille, that can be built in any form. Braille is formed in small dots, so I decided to attach small sphere models to short sticks. However, I still want to make something more three dimensional, like a furniture.

<Child> 7/12/17 Day5

I decided to carry on the clock chair idea.

I like the chair design but think it could be quite boring for children to play with. I did more research and thought of making a normal clock chair into a seesaw. I thought the seesaw idea could instantly make the design much playful and suitable for kids. The seesaw clock doesn't really function as a clock but children could adjust the angle of each side of a seesaw to understand the concept of a clock.

IMG_5224.JPG   IMG_5228.JPG

As I was making a model for the seesaw clock, I found out that it could also function as a wheelbarrow if I make the clock to roll. I also thought of making the clock into a container, to function as a toy box for kids. I am thinking of making the clock part more wider and deeper with transparent acrylic plastic, so that it can contain many toys. I also thought that it could help children's sense of sound because the toy inside the clock container will make sound as kids play seesaw on it. 

<Into the Wild> 4/1/17 Day1

For the starting of the new project "Into the Wild", we visited the Queen's wood for primary research. The Queen's wood was much bigger than I expected, and I could get a lot of inspirations from the natural factors from nature. 

The first thing that I noticed at the wood was the wet and damp ground. It was quite uncomfortable to walk on, especially with my white sneakers. Seeing my shoes getting muddy and dirty as I walked around the wood, I was inspired to design a product that could protect shoes from getting dirty when walking in the damp dirt.

Another thing I noticed was several dead and fallen trees on the ground. The dead trees were still big as normal growing trees, which made them look almost like art pieces. I thought I could reuse the tree while preserving the structure and shape of the dead trees. 

I also saw moss grown around the bottom part of trees, which seemed very cushiony and fluffy. It kind of looked like a natural sofa for animals. 

The most interesting thing I found was the holes in tress. There were numbers of trees with holes in them. The trees' tall and cylindrical structure with holes in them reminded me of some kind of instruments such as a pipe or flute. I know that some animals live in the tree holes too.

<Into the Wild> 9/1/17 Day2,3

I decided to carry on the topic of tree holes that I found at the Queen's wood. I did more research about the tree holes, also called as a tree hollow, a semi-enclosed cavity which has naturally formed in the trunk or branch of a tree. They are found mainly in old trees, whether living or not. Hollows form in many species of trees, and are a prominent feature of natural forests and woodlands, and act as a resource or habitat for a number of vertebrate and invertebrate animals. 

As I mentioned before, the tree hollow reminded me of a pipe or a flute. As I did more research, it also reminded me of a seashell. A tree hollow and seashell both have holes in hard exterior, in which animals live in the holes. I remember from a book  that crabs live inside a seashell because it makes them safe from unnecessary attack. This inspired me to design a shelter for people, that makes them feel safe and comfortable. I want to design a shelter that functions more than a refuge, but almost as a space for people to feel relaxed and destressed. 

I don't want the design to be like a normal shelter, but developed from the structure of a seashell. I thought of a hanging shelter like a hammock, with the shape of a seashell's curved and flexible structure. I think the curved shape will go well with the atmosphere of forest.

<Into the Wild> 11/1/17 Day5

I want the design to look flexible and spiral like a seashell's inner structure, but also to express the hard exterior of a shell. Through more idea development, I found out that the seashell's inner shape is formed of a spiralized lines.

I made a model with thread because it is easy to twist. I realized that when the straight lines are obliquely twisted, it creates a combination of "twist" and "faces" which is what I want from the design. I made the front part(entrance of the shelter) bigger than the back part(exit of the shelter), for the sound to be gathered effectively in the shelter.

I am thinking of making the real model with wooden sticks, to make it look go well with the nature's atmosphere.

IIMG_6758.jpg

<Into the Wild> Final Model

7041044-thick-wood.jpg.2

Untitled-2.jpg.3

DSC00885 copy.jpg.1

<Utility> 15/1/17 Day1

Today we were partnered with one of the students to make a product for him/her. My partner was Ikki Kawanashi, who came from Japan. We talked about what we like, our hobbies, background, and more. These are what I have found out from Ikki.

20180129210208_001.jpg IMG_6801.jpg

He always carries five items with him: a vintage wool jacket,  Japanese scalpel, glasses and watch that he got from a vintage shop, and a heat pack. He said he really enjoys shopping at vintage shops, especially for wool jackets because the wool material gives him warmth; he also gets the feeling of warmth from aged vintage items, hence wears a worn glasses and watch. 

He carries a heat pack with him when it's cold out,and sleep with the heat pack because it keeps him warm and comfortable. From these information, I considered he likes to stay warm, comfortable, and cozy. 

We also talked about his favorite artists and artworks: Tadao Ando, Mies Van Der Rohe, Le Corbusier, Thomas Heatherwick, and more. I found that his overall style of designs and artworks is rather simple and rigid. He said he likes black, leather, and metal, which are the design factors easily found in Le Corbusier and Mies Van Der Rohe's works. It was interesting to see how Ikki's taste contrast in different areas, since wool and metal doesn't really match. Surprisingly, he told me that he likes contrasting factors in a design so I am thinking incorporating contrasting factors to the design.

When we were talking about our homes, he told me that his accommodation was so small and has such a narrow door. He said that he doesn't have a chair in his room because he couldn't bring any through the narrow door. 

<Utility> 18/1/17 Day4

I remembered Ikki saying that he likes flowers. Since I want to make a folding chair, I thought I could use the structure of a flower in a sense that flower petals could be folded on top of each other.

However I kept on developing the ideas, and realized that the plan for folding flower design looked like an origami. Origami is another great structure of folding chairs because they are literally folded paper. The origami idea made me think of the paper crane, which is a very popular kind of origami in Japan. The cultural relevance of a paper crane could bring warmth to Ikki. 

IMG_6832.jpg IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg IMG_6826.jpg

I made a paper crane and played with different shapes that could be functioned as a chair. However I think the whole shape would be quite bulky and big if I intactly use the shape of a paper crane.

<Utility> 24/1/17 Day7,8

After making the legs, I carried on making the frames of a seat. It was challenging to find the certain shape that will effectively be folded. Also I didn't know which material to use for the frame of a seat, that will hold the weight as a seat while be folded. I tried to figure it out by folding papers into a certain shape I want and applied the same shape and folding method on the real mode. I decided to use a thick foam board for the frame and cover it with felt instead of wool. I intentionally made the seat part to face downward when folded, and the back part to face upwards to express a paper crane's triangular head and tail.

I also added pieces of felt around the legs to hold small things such as a phone or a charger. Since it is just a piece of felt, it's easy to fold in between the legs.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.36.53 AM.png IMG_6891 copy.jpg

<Vessel> 16/11/17 Day1: Mould Making

Steps of mould making

It was my first time making a mould, so every stem was so interesting. I got to make first half of the mould. Here are the steps of mould making.

mkl.jpg

1)Fill the mold with clay, making sure the end is flat and clean.

2)Mark the half-point of the mold, and surround the half of filled cast with clay. Smooth and square off the surrounding clay.

3)Prepare casting boards and coat each with vaselin. Seal edges where clay parting line meets the insides of the board.

4)Mix plaster to water(put plaster until it comes up to the water surface) for about 2 minutes.

5)Pour the plaster into the casting boards, above 2cm of the highest point of the mold. 

6) When the plaster hardens, take casting boards apart and scrape off top of plaster and bevel the edges slightly. Gently twist to loosen clay from the work board. Turn mold over and proceed to lift off clay from model and plaster half of the mold.

7)Do the same thing for the other half of the mold.

<Vessel> 20/11/17 Day2

Over the weekend, I did some research on materials. I researched about salt, pepper, sugar, rice, and coffee bean. Among those, I was most interested in rice and sugar. As I was collecting information on rice, I found out about an ancient Korean rice vessels, which I thought was very innovative and scientific. First, they shape a vessel with natural red clay and cover the vessel with natural lye when dried. Then they put it in the oven that goes up to thousand degrees celcius, eliminating all the heavy and light metals and making the surface strong. 

However, I decided to choose coffee bean as I have such a precious memories regarding the coffee bean. My mom used to own a few cafes in Korea. Her cafes were full with amazing scent of coffee beans. Because of that memory that stimulates every senses in my body, I instantly thought of making a vessel for coffee beans. In addition to the design, I want to add a component that can spread the scent of coffee bean.

I got a pack of coffee beans and started to examine the physical properties of them. I realized that a coffee bean is shaped like a conjunction of two hemispheres, making one oval sphere. When I look at the designs of products, I'm naturally attracted to circular shapes and flexible lines. While I did my secondary research, I found some exquisite pieces of vessels, such as the Baroque Series by Jo Woffinden and the Ninna Nanna Fruit Bowl by Casa Bugatti. They are all shaped in a unique a hemisphere form, making them more different than other normal bowls. I'm thinking of making a few hemisphere shape of vessels tomorrow.

<Vessel> 23/11/17 Day4

Slip Casting Day2_

I kept on making the hemisphere shaped vessels. As I was making, I tried to make various forms out of them. When I obliquely overlapped two hemispheres together, they created a very interesting shape. It kind of reminded me of the inner structure of the coffee plant.

One of the designs I thought of is to put coffee beans inside the overlapped vessel, as they can be closed and opened by sliding on each other. 

Another design is to place a lightbulb inside the overlapped vessel, making it a lighting. I could put another vessel on top of the overlapped vessel that carries lighting, in order to make the heat from the lightbulb to spread the scent of coffee bean

IMG_4817.JPG

Beside the hemisphere bowls, I made more cylindrical shaped vessels. I planned of placing the cylinder inside the hemisphere bowls, thinking the narrow space in the cylinders would transfer the heat from a lightbulb.

<Vessel> 30/11/17 Day6

I really liked the shape of two hemisphere bowls obliquely overlapped, because it looked something like a cracked coffee berry that carries a seed inside. When I place one of the cylindrical vessel on top of the overlapped vessel, I could only relate the shape to nothing but a coffee plant. Therefore I did more sketches and made the model look somewhat like a coffee tree, and also thought of incorporating a wood as a sub material. 

I decided to place a sphere lightbulb inside the two hemisphere bowls, to express a coffee berry carrying a seed inside of it. Then I made a supporting sticks with wood, which will hold up the actual vessel that will carry coffee bean. The lightbulb under the supporting sticks will transfer heat up to the vessel that carries coffee bean, therefore spreading scent all over the place. 

IMG_4888.jpg

However I thought the design was quite boring and wanted to give more natural but modern look to it. I found real tree branches and tried to use that as a sub material. I also made a circular copper ring that surrounds the vessel, to express the spread of heat and scent.

IMG_4917.jpg

<Vessel> Final Model

1!.jpg.1

10!.jpg.1

2!.jpg

<Child> 6/12/17 Day4

I thought of another idea, which is a clock chair. I really liked the idea of a toy for visually impaired children, but I still wanted to make something more three dimensional. I remember I had quite a hard time understanding the concept of a clock when I was young. I thought it was hard to read the time and to understand the difference between longer and shorted clock hands. Now that I think about it, I think it was the unfriendly structure of a clock that made it hard for me to understand the whole concept. Recalling that memory, I thought of designing a clock chair, which the two sides of a chair looks like a clock hands. 

Children can adjust and play with the angle of the two sides of the chair, naturally becoming familiar with the concept of a clock and gradually understand the concept of a clock.

<Child> 11/12/17 Day 6

Model making day_

IMG_5359.jpg  IMG_5374.jpg

The final design came out to be a multi-functional furniture, the Clock Seesaw Wheelbarrow. The clock in the middle that holds the hands of a seesaw also acts as a wheel for the wheelbarrow. Kids could store toys inside the clock, which has a lid on top. When children ride on a seesaw or roll the wheelbarrow, toys inside the box will make the sound, as it stimulates children’s sense of hearing. The product does not necessarily function as a "clock", but it is for children to be more familiar with the concept of a clock as they play with key icons of a clock.

At the workshop, I used blue acrylic plastic, copper, and wood for the materials. The blue acrylic plastic and wood went really well together, giving a youthful and playful look. I used acrylic plastic for the clock box, copper for the handle of the wheelbarrow, and wood for the seat and the main supporting stick. First, I cut the acrylic into a circular shapes and made a box out of it. Then I made holes on the sides of the box and inserted a wood stick through it. Next I made holes on each end of the wood stick to insert the copper handle. On the copper handle, I placed a seat made of wood for the seesaw. 

After the model was made, I realized that the product would be very efficient in therms of storing. When the product is in a form of a wheelbarrow, it could stand and doesn't take up much space in a room. Then children could enjoy seesaw in their rooms whenever they want to. 

hijm.jpg 

primary-colored-childs-playroom-clouds-and-flowers-blonde-wood-flooring.jpg

<Into the Wild> 10/1/17 Day4

As I was developing the idea, the resonating sound that happens inside the seashell came up to my mind. I remember how I used to listen to a sound of ocean waves that comes out from a seashell when I was young. Until I did the research, I thought that the sound from a seashell was actually a sound of our bloodflow in the veins of our ears. However, I found out that the seashell's sound resonance happens through the spiral shape of inner structure of a seashell. Researchers found out that the spiral shape effectively boosts the strength of the vibrations caused by sound, especially for low pitches. 

I am thinking of incorporating the sound resonating characteristic of a seashell to the shelter design, by amplifying the natural sound of nature inside the shelter. I think the users could solely concentrate on the sound of nature inside the shelter, and forget about stressful and noisy city life for that moment. 

I made a few paper models to find out which shape amplifies the sound the most. Honestly for now, there is not much difference in the level of sound as far as the shape has got a bigger front entrance with narrower exit, like a horn.

<Into the Wild> 12/1/17 Day6

I started on making the model today. It is taking more time than I expected, especially because I want to use several different materials on the outer surface. I intentionally did not make the front entrance in a perfect circle because I wanted to express the shape of a seashell. I made 12 holes on the front and back wood board to hold the wooden sticks. When the model is seen from the front, I can definitely see the spiralized structure.

If I were to make this in a real life, I would use dead trees to make the design sustainable. Also, the size would be about a single bed, in which one or two users could go inside and lie or sit down comfortably.

IMG_6768.jpg IMG_6767.jpg

<Into the Wild> 13/1/17 Day7

For the outer surface, I decided to use several different materials: acetate for transparent(glass), translucent film, plywood sheet, and mirror sheet. I cut different sheets and attached on the wooden frame in different trapezoid shapes. For the real model, I want to use glass for transparency in order for the users to see the nature when they are in the shelter. I also want to use mirror material to reflect the trees and greens in a forest and really make the shelter look like it's one with forest.  cds.jpg.1  Untitled-2d.jpg   

<Utility> 17/1/17 Day2,3

IMG_6846.jpg.1 

Today I visited Ikki's favorite vintage shop at Oxford Street to get more inspiration. The atmosphere at there was very warming as Ikki said, from all the products that was once touched and used by someone else. From visiting the vintage shop, I wanted to make a product that is warming to Ikki. In order to do that, I might substitute some of the traditional factors from Ikki's background, which could naturally arouse warmth to him. 

For the chair design, I am thinking of making a foldable chair to fit the narrow door. However, I'm not sure how to blend the sense of "warmth" into a chair design. 

<Utility> 22/1/17 Day5,6

Over the weekend, I kept on developing the chair design and decided on the final design. I tried to reflect Ikki's geometric and simple taste in designed products, while focusing on three most important characteristics:

1)efficient in size as it's foldable

2)light-weight so that it's easy to carry around

3)functional

IMG_7149.jpg ->IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7151 copy.jpg

I tried to keep the impression of a paper crane with triangular shaped seat frames. The seat's frame folds just in the way paper would be folded. The three sides of leg also fold into one side, as the seat in between the legs are folded.

I went to the workshop to make the leg of the chair with wood. I connected the legs with small hinges and planning on painting it with a metal finish spray paint to make it look like a light metal tube. 

<Utility> Final model

DSC00839 copy.jpg.1

IMG_6920 copy.jpg.1

Untitled-1.jpg.3 njk.1

DSC00894.jpg.1 DSC00896.jpg.1 DSC00897.jpg